...

sábado, 3 de enero de 2015

My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) - P.G. Wodehouse

Rating: 
01/03/14

I’m not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it’s Shakespeare—or, if not, it’s some equally brainy lad—who says that it’s always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping. There’s no doubt the man’s right. 
("Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest")

"Jerome, are you there?" That’s what I thought after reading the first pages of Wodehouse's My Man Jeeves. Their styles seemed so similar ("seemed"; so far, I prefer JKJ). Good writing and a simple plot filled with funny anecdotes that make the book worthwhile. It’s sounds simple but, as I always say, not anybody can be funny. 19th-century people had sense of humor too, naturally (reference to Jerome and others, since Wodehouse is a 20th-century chappie). I don’t know why I’m kind of surprised when I see myself laughing with those guys and just awkwardly smiling while reading the “funniest guys of the 21st century”. 

Wodehouse once wrote: “I go in for what is known in the trade as ‘light writing’ and those who do that – humorists they are sometimes called – are looked down upon by the intelligentsia and sneered at.” Sad, odd and true. Some intellectual fellas, snobs or whatever, with Tolstoy in their hands, often reject writers that have the amazing skill of mixing literature and comedy. Forgetting, perhaps, that humor can also be a great resource to analyze human nature. We have literary masterpieces that prove that. Anyway, I wouldn't be able to bear a life of ONLY serious classics. I need both. And when I read about Wodehouse, I knew I had to read his works. 

This is a collection of short stories about Bertie Wooster (not the smartest guy in town and he's kind of aware of that), Reginald Jeeves, his brilliant valet that always had an answer for everything, and other characters like Mr. Pepper and a lot of chappies... Every story was written with remarkable wit and subtle humor. However, sometimes his humor was so subtle that I didn't know I was reading something intended to be funny. It was entertaining–most of the times; other times, I got lost in a sea of numerous funny-ish details–, but, all in all, it was a good read.


I have like a billion more "Jeeves" to read. I honestly don't know what my next book is going to be. But I'll figure it out soon, chap.




* Photo credit: Book cover via Goodreads.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario